Tuesday 5 June 2012

Butterfly Easel Cards















A few months ago my friend Carol and I were looking at cards on the internet and came across Bronwyn Eastley's blog - http://www.addinktivedesigns.blogspot.ca/.  She has the most beautiful easel cards, but the butterfly ones really caught my eye.  These are my version of her butterfly easel cards.

The butterflies were cut using Sizzix - Beautiful Butterflies Bigz die, but I wanted my cards to be just a little bigger, so I cut out the largest butterfly on the die, I changed the bottom half of the butterfly to what you see here, and then enlarged it by 50%.  Once I had the template, I traced the butterfly shape onto cardstock that had been folded with the fold at the very top of the wings and cut it out.  This gives you a butterfly shaped card.  One butterfly needs to be scored horizontally between the upper and lower wings, this will create the easel.  The scored butterfly will be the top of the card.

You can see Tammy's flowers and the dies that I used to decorate the card. 
What you see there is one package of her flowers.
Then you need one more butterfly cut from cardstock.  As you can see, the cards are pretty with the butterflies all in one colour or with a combination of designer paper and plain cardstock.  This butterfly can be embossed with your favourite folder and is sponged around the edge with a slightly darker ink.  The smaller butterfly that goes on top of the card is the largest butterfly on the Beautiful Butterflies Bigz die.  It also can be embossed and should be inked around the edges too.

The bottom wings of the single butterfly are attached to the bottom wings of the butterfly card using Scor tape.                                         


This is what it will look like from the side and the back.  You may have to do some trimming to make everything match up perfectly.















The smaller butterfly is attached to the middle of the card using Scor tape and then the fun part - you get to decorate it!  I used Tammy Beaver's flowers which you can see in the picture above.  I think they are so beautiful and they come in many colours.   You can get them from Tammy, check out her website at http://www.dcands.ca/ and you can also get them at Scrapbooking Cafe Online, http://www.scrapbookingcafeonline.ca.  I attach these flowers to the cards with a little dab of hot glue.  I also used Memory Box - Tender Leaves and Die-namics - Leafy Flourish to decorate and poked some white floral pearls here and there among the petals of the flowers.







The inside of the card can be decorated in so many ways.  In this card I used an EK edge punch to create the brown scrolls, the Die-namics Leafy Flourish, and SU - BoHo Flower stamp and co-ordinating punch.  These little flowers are popped up and are the catching point for the card so it will stand up like an easel.  Half pearls in the center of the flowers finish it off.  The sentiment is from SU.

Thanks for looking :)





1 comment: